The Morning News

I’m looking over the various news reports this morning as I drink my coffee…

Reuters reports this morning that the Chinese are going to display newly developed strategic missiles in a national parade on October 1rst. FT.COM has a story on their front page explaining that India now has thermonuclear weapons – they have 200 kiloton bombs in their arsenal which brings them up to par with the fully developed, elite nuclear nations. Supposedly, they produced these weapons to counter their arch-enemy Pakistan’s capability to attack them with their own nuclear bombs. Meanwhile, My Way’s featured article discusses Iran’s missile tests yesterday and specifically mentions the Revolutionary Guard divisions of that country performing military maneuvers at this time. As a side-bar to the report, they mention that the missile tests over the weekend confirm that Iran is fully capable of striking Israel. To top these stories, Drudge reports that Venezuela is also pursuing a joint uranium venture with Russia.

It appears as though the world is once again beating the drums of war and has become hell-bent on a path that will assure us of mutual destruction and pave the road to Armageddon. All of this, despite the now seemingly empty rhetoric that was put forth during the U.N. meetings that took place less than a week ago. We are sliding down a proverbial greased pole, or so it seems, with no apparent hope in sight.

In our own country, the average Joe on the street appears to have his own sense of foreboding over issues that range from the economy and unemployment to health care and the fear of big government. A protest against a government policy this week is followed by a protest for the same policy the next week. It is there, a rift that is dividing our nation; all you have to do is notice it.

The ominous tidings we see in the news today were predicted by prophets thousands of years ago. I believe this with my heart through my faith, but even that is no comfort, really. Though I am in awe of God’s Word and how it shows me what is really going on and what will happen as it all plays out, it still has a way of depressing me. I know that none of these stories are going to change and they will in fact grow worse with each passing day, hour, minute, and second.

I wish I had more to enter on these pages this morning instead of what, I know, only appears to be gloom and doom. But good news is becoming harder and harder to find these days as the world seems to be drifting ever closer to the abyss. It has a tendency to make one despondent – so is there yet any hope to be found out there?

In the end, I turn to the words of Jesus as it appears to be all that I have left this morning: “Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know. “ John 14:1-4

Because these words were spoken by The Word, I know they are more than merely empty rhetoric spoken only to make me feel better. If I meditate upon them and pray, my heart does not seem to be quite as troubled. He has a place prepared for me! And through His Word I know the way and how to get there. All I need do is look up, because He is coming back - just as He promised He would.

No comments:

Post a Comment