Experts And Weakness

During a warmer than usual October last Fall, we ran into a small problem with the air conditioning unit at our house. Small problem as in - it stopped working. The house became warm and the natives grew restless as the temperature within began to climb. Dad needed to do something, and he was up to the task as usual. I decided I had two choices; call the air conditioning repairman and fork out a load of cash, or make the repair myself. Seeing as how money was tight at the time, I chose the latter. I am by no means an expert in the field of air-conditioning, I’m an electrical engineer; but I decided on the spur of the moment that surely those respective fields of science were close enough in resemblance for me to make the repair.

Multi-meter and screw driver in hand, I approached the unit. It seemed harmless enough as it sat silently in my back yard, a stoic sentinel in the fading afternoon sun. After a minimal amount of troubleshooting, I determined that the compressor thermal overload had opened up and decided it was the likely culprit. It was altogether too easy – I jumped the overload out of the circuit and within moments the unit sprang back to life and began operating normally. Summer was almost over down in the Deep South, but I did make a mental note to get it checked out before spring. I put the covers back on the unit and came back inside. Sure enough, things were cooling down and life was returning to normal.

My wife absolutely swooned at the amazing intelligence I had displayed while my son danced excitedly around in the kitchen. My teenage daughter retreated to her room to compose a song on her guitar about the utter brilliance of her father in an effort to notify the world (via YouTube) of that greatness. Daddy, daddy, he’s the man, if he can’t do it no one can! My wife, fitfully recovering from said swoon, began making plans for a ticker-tape parade through the streets (street) of McNeill because after all, I was a hero and totally deserved the reward.

(Of course I’m stretching things a tad here; there was no ticker-tape parade as the four buildings in town are all one-story and as such, ticker tape can’t be dumped on any passing parade should we ever choose to have one.)

Flash-forward to a week ago: My mental note had somehow been forgotten over the winter and we began using the unit now that spring has arrived. After only a few days, the compressor grenaded, rendering the unit inoperable once again – this time terminally so. I had no choice but to call in an expert, and he was less than impressed with my own repair from a few months earlier. In a nice way, he reminded me that thermal means ‘hot’, and pointed out that had I called him last Fall, the compressor would not require replacement and I could have saved a lot of money. As it stood, I needed a new compressor and a lot of cash to make the house cool once again, and summer has not even begun at this point.

I tell ya, those air conditioning repairmen absolutely love it when engineers do stupid things.

I learned a hard lesson this week, and anytime you learn a real lesson it will cost you something. I now understand the importance of using a professional when a job is over my head, as a temporary fix can take a large bite out of your wallet later on. The experts are there for a reason, and they became experts for a reason. How quickly was I humbled by the whole experience - a one time brilliant engineer now merely a study in foppishness.

Ironically, I find the very same lesson can be applied to my spiritual life as well. Paul writes to the Philippians: “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.” I love that verse. Yet I need to be reminded at times to include the complete verse as a part of my daily walk with Him. Too many times I think “I” can do all things by myself. As a result I can forget that it is Christ who strengthens me and enables me to stay on the right path. Without His help and His guidance, I am nothing at all. He is the expert in all things, and I need to call on Him before I make rash decisions in my life.

Many times I try and do things myself because it is hard to confess a weakness that may exist in my spiritual life. An argument with my wife? I can fix that. A falling out with a friend? I can handle that. Sin in my life that does not need to be there? Ink me up as the one to provide a solution, because I don’t need to bother G_d with that one. Paul also wrote under inspiration: “for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” The times I attempt to handle things myself can cause me to miss out on a special blessing and a glimpse of His power in my daily life. It also robs Him of the glory he so rightfully deserves through that process.

Take it from me; I’ve learned that it’s always better to put your trust in the expert.

No comments:

Post a Comment