The Uncertainty of Tomorrow

What a crazy world we live in! Our lives seem to change so quickly there seems to be no way to keep up with the alterations to our schedules that we encounter almost daily. More and more often I begin to feel as though I am only running in place while the rest of humanity speeds by me utilizing the fast lane. I may just need a bigger engine. Or I may need to take the next exit and hopefully it will be a rest area, or even better - a welcome center with a free Coke.

Take yesterday for example; I got up early and let my little dog out, noticing immediately the change in temperature from the warm mornings we had been experiencing to an almost Fall-like condition in the air. It was a beautiful morning and I looked forward to going to church. After all, that is what Sunday means to me. I took my shower and ironed my clothes in preparation, thinking ahead to my Sunday-School class that I teach. I was contemplating whether or not to fry a few eggs and a little bacon when my wife entered the kitchen almost doubled over in pain.

Everything changed in an instant, and the carefree Sunday morning preparations for church were quickly dismissed in favor of a trip to the Urgent-Care center in town. Fortunately, it was not a serious condition and the problem could be treated with prescriptions. At least I can say that, but my wife would say otherwise and of that I am sure. A follow-up visit at the end of the week and she should be good to go. We are both very thankful for that on this the morning after.

I have a veritable pile of things planned for this week and most of it is apparently centered around my job this morning. I have work planned with the railroad and a project in another State I’ll be monitoring remotely from my office here in my hometown. I have things planned to take care of around the house during the evenings, and an event taking place at church on Saturday. Oh yeah, I am also looking forward to taking a week off from work next week, which means I need to have all of my ducks in a row before I leave the office on Friday. I am wondering if I will be able to cover it all and meet all of the various appointments without something falling through the cracks.

In Proverbs 27:1 I read, “Boast not thyself of tomorrow; for thou knowest not what a day may bring forth.” I surely cannot forecast what will happen in my future, as things always seem to change. It is good to have goals and it is great to schedule things ahead of time as it can add stability into my life and I’ve found I really need that. But I also need to remember how fragile and temporal the things in my life really are. It would be much better to acknowledge my plans by praying ahead of time and seeking out God’s will in everything that I do. If I know that my plans line up with what He would have me do, then maybe in most instances I’d see those goals and plans come to fruition.

My post will be a little shorter than normal this morning as I am leaving in a few minutes for a planning meeting in the conference room…

No comments:

Post a Comment