I Prefer You

From the BBC this morning, I read an article on the Argentine ant. The species has spread (with accidental human help) from Argentina to the four corners of the earth. The ants have been found on every continent except Antarctica, and on island-nations such as Japan. They just might be the most far-reaching species on earth with the exception of human beings.

The article did not go into a lot of details about such things as do they sting or bite humans, other than to say that they attack native plants and animals in their new environments once they have been established. I’d say that is a clue that they would appear to have a tendency to do so. My experience with ants revolves around the fire-ants native to my area, and they are no picnic to be around at all. (Slight pun intended!)

Argentine ants will not attack each other, even if they are from different colonies. This is quite unusual if you think about it. The report explained this fact by saying that they seem to ‘know’ each other when they meet. They touch their antennae together and possibly something genetic lets them know that they have met a member of their own kind. It’s as if they can recognize a friend no matter where on earth they may happen to find themselves.

That’s amazing for an ant. In fact, it is amazing for any animal once you've considered it. Unfortunately, the same cannot always be said for humans. We seem to find very little in common with other members of our species in other parts of the world. A chance encounter (and I’m speaking explicitly for myself) is apt to arouse suspicion and bring out the defensive nature that has been instilled inside each of us for thousands of years.

However, I do not feel that way when I meet another Christian. When I realize a person I may happen to meet is truly born again and loves the Lord, despite the circumstances of our encounter I know I have found a friend. And it matters not in areas of race or gender. Paul writes in Romans that we should, “Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;” All Christians should live this way – we should be able to put aside our petty differences, culture, and even skin color because we share a common bond that is larger than all of those things. Paul goes as far as to say that we should prefer each other.

I’ve enjoyed writing this blog so far. I’ve enjoyed writing my thoughts here for others to read, and then listening to the comments and reading the emails from readers just like yourself. I’m hoping that you have continued to read because you see things posted here that you can identify with from your own life. In other words, I’m hoping that we do share a common bond. Feel free to comment if you haven’t yet done so already, or send me an email. I know you’re out there.

Let me know if something touches your heart. If I am getting 'off-base' - tell me about it. Let me know when I am getting too ‘preachy’. I like hearing from you – just don’t touch me with your antennae.

2 comments:

  1. Quit worrying about what others think. If they believe you are too 'preachy' then they can make the choice NOT to read your blog any longer. Keep giving it straight from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, bro! In the meantime I'll keep using stories of you for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete