Following Him


From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. John 6:66

Bill: Crazy, I tell you, just crazy. ‘Bread of Life’ and a Quickened Spirit. What’s He even talking about. I don’t get it. It’s simply too confusing. Whatever.

Sarah: It’s been a good run and I have enjoyed His teaching up to this point. But things are getting a little strange around here—am I being brainwashed? I’ve got to step back a little and re-assess the whole situation.

Joe: Man, I wish I could keep following Him as it would be great to know what He says next. He’s always coming up with these really deep thoughts. But I honestly have to get back to my job and my responsibilities. I mean, who is going to raise my children? Who’s going to take care of the farm and the livestock?

Karen: Look at the faces of these people in the crowd around me. They must be out of their minds. Did they hear something that I didn’t? Turns out He’s just a man like any other. I’m going home.

Rhoda: Things were going so good up until this point. People were being touched and healed. The crowd was growing each week. Lives were being changed and souls were being saved! Why did He have to go and say that? Now look at the people leaving. I better go now, too, while I still can. (sigh) It’s a shame.

Bob: He saved my soul, but He should have done more. He could have healed my body while He was at it. I’m not sure it’s worth it anymore. I was expecting so much more from Him. I’m feeling let down over the whole thing.

John: I was ready to follow Him anywhere He wanted me to. But look at the people who are leaving right now. Maybe they're right. What will they think of me if I stick around here any longer? They may just turn on me, too. I can’t pay that kind of price. It costs too much to follow Him, and I have invested far too much time and effort as it stands anyway.

Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away? John 6:67

Pete: Everybody is leaving and it makes sense for me to do so as well. It’s the wise thing to do. It is the smart thing, hey, even the mature thing to do.  I always try to be logical in these kinds of instances. It is why I’ve made it as far in life as I have. I've got a wife who needs me even if He already healed her. Who’s to say she won’t get sick again? I’ll go back to fishing and living my life as a model citizen by the sea. I’ll work in the cool morning breezes and spend my evenings with my children telling stories about the times I spent with Him. I'll go back to just living a normal life, like everyone else.

He will understand. Hasn’t He said as much, throwing in that ‘also’ as if He even expects it from me? I can only do so much for Him, and He knows how hard I tried to do His work. He should respect that.

I’ll go to church and warm a pew each week, and I’ll listen to the preacher, and

I’ll be a good person and treat everyone with dignity and respect and

I’ll be well thought of by everybody. They will know me as fair and honest and

Where will I go? Where will I find the actual truth? Who else can give me the words of eternal life that I so desperately need to hear?

No. Sadly, this is it. This is all I will ever need. It may not be the easiest course to take, and it may make no sense at all to others, or even to me. But I know this. I know it in my heart even if I cannot explain it. There are no other available options. This decision, this putting Him first and following Him is an eternal arrangement. There is no other way.

“Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life. And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.” John 6:68-69

Have not I chosen you twelve, and one of you is a devil? John 6:70

Pete: There He goes again. Another riddle for us that we can’t understand. Even though we tell Him we are going to stick around, He says one of us will betray Him. Like that is going to happen? Every time I think I give the right answer, and it’s a well-thought out answer on my part, He always comes up with something else. Gotta love the guy.

No… I really do love the guy. And I will simply follow Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment