Packing The Parachute

Back during the 1960’s, U.S. Navy pilot Charles Plumb was shot down over North Vietnam. He ejected from his plane, parachuted into enemy hands, and then spent the following six years as a prisoner of war. At the conclusion of the conflict, Plumb returned home and began a speaking tour across the country, describing the lessons he had learned during that rough period in his life. One night in a restaurant following one of his speeches, a man came up to him and called him by name. He said that he had known Plumb during their days together aboard the aircraft carrier U.S.S. Kitty Hawk. Though Plumb had no recollection of him, it turns out that this stranger had been the person in charge of packing the parachutes for the various pilots aboard the ship.

I cannot verify the validity of this story, but it strikes me as odd that a man Plumb could not recollect and did not remember turned out to be the one person responsible for saving his life back on the day he was shot down over enemy territory. You could say the parachute-packer was ‘just doing his job’ and you would be correct. But I wonder how many times simply doing our jobs or doing what is right may end up affecting someone else’s life?

We should always be on the lookout for the people in our lives that that could very well be packing our own parachutes. They become easy to notice if you take the time to look for them. I can obviously start with my wife – she has the thankless task of putting up with me every day and she has been much better to me than I have deserved over the years we have been together. (I can guarantee you this as being the gospel-truth!) I am thankful for my parents and what they have done for me throughout my life. I did not comprehend this until I had children of my own, but those times when I thought they were being over bearing and too strict? They only wanted the best for me and it turns out they were always right in every circumstance.

There are many others, of course. From the supervisor who works for me in my department that makes my job performance sparkle through his own knowledge and skill, to the pianist and organist at our church that cover my musical mistakes during each worship service. My only hope is that somewhere along the line I will be able to pack a few parachutes for others to utilize within their own lives.

Those parachute-packers are important people, and we should never neglect to remember them, thank them, and above all avoid looking over them. Is there a Biblical principle to be found in these thoughts? I think so. Check out the way Paul closes his letters in the New Testament, specifically at the end of the first letter to the Corinthians:

“I am glad of the coming of Stephanas and Fortunatus and Achaicus: for that which was lacking on your part they have supplied. For they have refreshed my spirit and yours: therefore acknowledge ye them that are such.” Not much is known of these three men, other than the mention Paul makes of them here. But one thing is certain, they helped Paul and as a result their names have been handed down through the ages to us, emblazoned within the pages of God’s own Word.

Paul recognized the importance of a good parachute-packer, and he encouraged the church at Corinth to acknowledge them along with others who were aiding in the spread of the Gospel behind the scenes. Remember the parachute-packers in your own life. Because no matter how high-flying or wing-walking you might think you are - we could all use a well-packed parachute from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment