Cell Phone Spirituality

My cell phone died this week, and it was bittersweet. I've had a Motorola Q for almost two years now, and everyone at work is getting iPhones since we switched suppliers. As I watched the first phones being delivered, I felt so out of touch, obsolete, and falling behind with the times. So now I am getting an iPhone of my own - but I lost all of my contacts. The old Q would sync with my PC, and I'm not sure if the iPhone will, yet. So what happened to all of those contacts that mysteriously vanished from the Q?

Ah, a new phone, and new technology. I picked it out from a web-site with assistance from the IT coordinator at work this afternoon. It glistened with newness, seeming to leap from the page at me! My day instantly got better, and thinking about having to enter all of those work-related and personal contacts in manually, one by one, never really crossed my mind. It is the price we pay to jump forward and move ahead, like that old Devo song from the 80's. Whip it good!

I will.

And it will be great for a week or so, maybe longer if I get some cool apps along the way. One app I saw is a carpenter's level; you lay the phone on its side and... how cool is that? I can't think of a place in time where I'll actually need it, but I will get it anyway. You never know.

Guess what? By mid-July I will be tired of it and take it for granted. It's not just me, we are all that way. Instant gratification, baby! Procure, consume, and move on, yeah, that's the ticket. I will no longer need that special iPod I received for Christmas as it will be a thing of the past. I can put all of the songs on my phone because it is easier that way. Less to carry. Frees my hands up to 'get' other things. How about one of those blue-tooth thingees that hang on your ear? Ink me up!

Sometimes I worry what will become of us, the way we take things for granted these days. We always (and I include myself here) seem to be looking for what's next before we can begin to enjoy what we already have. The present, the now, the here and today, should never be traded. Not even for a thousand tomorrows.

Jesus knew this and it is recorded in Matthew 6:34 that we are to "Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

Tomorrow's toys will be better, more streamlined, more reliable. (maybe) Tomorrow's problems will be bigger and more complex. That's a given and is something that I've learned in my life at this point. You never know what's coming around the bend or beyond the next fork in the road. Sometimes we need to simply sit still and pay attention to things; because if we don't there is a pretty good chance it (life) will pass us by.

I'm going to think about that as I gather my business cards in preparation of adding the contact information into my shiny new phone. And I'm gonna miss that Q - she was a good'un.

No comments:

Post a Comment